Wow, I can’t believe how little time I have to blog! I had these dreams of grandeur that I was going to be able to post at least a couple of times a week. However, I feel so overwhelmed with all things school, that I just never seem to have the time to post, let lone read the other teacher blogs that I started following this year. The first 3-4 weeks of every school year always seem to be a bit on the crazy side, and this year is no exception. And couple that with the fact that I am getting old(er), and my memory is not what it used to be.
Since I have not posted in a while, let me cAtch you up on what has been going on in my little teacher-world. Pardon the bulleted form, but I am being lazy today as well….
- We are already past the mid-way point of our 1st nine weeks and interim report went home this past week. SOme of my little friends are not where they should be, so I am working on modifying my curriculum and doing a bit more differentiation, to see if I can help them be a little more successful.
- We have completed fall MAP testing (we test in the fall, winter and spring), and I am working on analyzing their reading levels (from the running records I did with them) with their reading RIT scores, so I can put together my reading groups which will start next week.
- I met with my principal, and a bunch of resource folks to identify academic and behavioral needs of my class for CAST. We have started the A-team process on a few and I am looking forward to getting some additional support for a few of my little friends that are struggling with so much!!
- We have finished our 1st 20 Days (Fountas and Pinell) in Balanced Literacy and we are ready for reading groups to begin next week…can’t wait! This is year 2 of the program in our school so I know my little friends are going tobe shining stars at rotating through listening and computer centers, SSR and reading group rotations.
- We also finished our first unit in Social Studies and are working on making scrapbook pages of the 5 Native American Groups we studied. Next up–Explorers!!!
- My attempt at using Words Their Way for spelling went better this week than last. A few of my little friends are still struggling with VC, VVC, VCC nd VCe patterns and long and short vowel sounds. They all did a great job giving/taking their spelling tests with a partner this week..woohoo!!!
- Empowering Writers is a little rocky…I am planning on changing things up a bit net week so we can finish Beginnings and more onto Elaborative Detail.
- I team-teach with another 4th grade teacher and between the two of us we have 38 parent teacher conferences to by the end of October.
- On top of that, Monday is curriculum night so Monday is going to be a LOOOOONNNNG day..but hopefully I will have a good turnout of parents and I can share with them the wonderful things their children have been doing in the last 5 weeks of school!!!
Last but not least, I stated a graduate class on technology in the classroom last week and that is a huge demand on my time. However, I am gaining some great ideas for my classroom and will introduce some it to my class next week when we start our Explorer unit.
SO that is what I have been up to…how are things in your classroom?????