Today is the first day back for teachers in our district. I want to wish all my teacher friends a great school year!! Each new calendar year we all make resolutions (lose weight, get out of debt, finish the Harry Potter series, lol). I came across this list of new school year resolutions posted by fellow blogger Diary of a Public School Teacher…I modified hers a bit but you get the gist.
Happy New (School) Year! I Resolve to…
- treat all students fairly, regardless of race, gender, age, behavior, parent’s nasty attitude, desire to be educated, or lack of interest in learning
- believe that all children can learn, even if I have taught the same material 55 different ways.(It’s going to click at some point)
- stop using sarcasm as a disciplinary tool, no matter how effective it may seem.
- speak in a quiet, even, tone, even when yelling seems to be the best option. (It never is!)
- realize that I could be the only good thing that happens in a student’s day
- grade papers in a timely manner, even though their test scores may make me question my teaching ability.
- meet all deadlines, and if I’m late, don’t make any sorry excuses.
- not gossip about (or with) my colleagues, the students, administration,etc…
- share with my colleagues, we are not in competition with each other.
- use technology to engage my 21st century students
- continue to be passionate about my job, and if I’m not, retire or find something I can be passionate about.:)
I am going to add a number 12 to the list—
12. do all I can to help make changes to the field of education ( attend rallies, make phone calls, motivate fellow teachers, join organizations) so that the focus is on the child as an individual learner rather than about a score on a test!
For those of you lucky enough to be enjoying a few more days or weeks of summer….your time is coming.